Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sweetly Resting

100_0312 A photo from our first trip to Hawaii a few years ago goes along perfectly with the hymn that I've been singing all week, "In the Rifted Rock I'm Resting." A small nook worn away in this rock wall was the perfect place for these little plants to sprout and grow. Sheltered within this cleft, safe from storms and winds, its roots are secure.

Too frequently lately, I have not been seeking the shelter of the Rock that was cleft for me, Jesus. I have been distracted and hurried. I've felt there was no point to my day. I've felt there was no way I could do all that needed doing. Hopeless about our progress with school, swayed and bent by any frustrations, I was just plain tired of feeling not in control and at the whim of whatever circumstances happened to appear that day, that hour, that moment.

Why did I not recognize it sooner? Why did I not see that I was being blown and tossed about by circumstances and emotions, with doubts and worries, because I was not seeking the refuge of my Rock, the Lord Jesus. All throughout scripture we are given the promise of shelter:

  • "For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever; I will trust in the covert of thy wings." Psalm 61
  • "The eternal God is thy refuge" Deut. 33:27
  • "The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; the God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour." 2 Samuel 22:2-3
  • "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble." Psalm 9:9
  • "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1
  • " . . in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge." Psalm 57:1
  • "In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:7-8
  • Psalm 71, 91, 94, 104, 142, Proverbs 14, Isaiah 4, 25, 28, Jeremiah 16, Hebrews 6 and so much more!
  • In Numbers 35 and Joshua 20& 21 the Israelites are told how to set up the Cities of Refuge for those in need of shelter and protection. The rules were specific that as long as they were in the Cities of Refuge, they were safe from harm and those seeking to destroy them. If they set foot outside of the City, then they were vulnerable to attack. What a perfect picture of the Lord Jesus.

Abiding in the shadow of his wings, resting within the rock, my days have an order and a peace that passeth understanding.

I have this hymn printed and placed in my kitchen so that I am able to sing and focus on what is true and pure while I go about my chores. It was written by Mary D. James in 1875 at the age of 65 years old. She must have known about hiding within the Rock. She started teaching Sunday School to younger children at the age of 13 years old, and visiting them at their homes during the week also, taking gifts and baked goods that her mother had made. What a life of service she must have had.

If you are not familiar with this hymn, then I hope you are blessed by these words. If you've heard it before, I hope the remembrance of it brings the sweet peace that only sheltering in the LORD can give.

Sweetly Resting

In the rifted Rock I’m resting;
Safely sheltered, I abide.
There no foes nor storms molest me,
While within the cleft I hide.

Now I’m resting, sweetly resting,
In the cleft once made for me.
Jesus, blessèd Rock of Ages,
I will hide myself in Thee.

Long pursued by sin and Satan,
Weary, sad, I longed for rest.
Then I found this heav’nly shelter,
Opened in my Savior’s breast.

Now I’m resting, sweetly resting,
In the cleft once made for me.
Jesus, blessèd Rock of Ages,
I will hide myself in Thee.

Peace which passeth understanding,
Joy the world can never give,
Now in Jesus I am finding;
In His smiles of love I live.

Now I’m resting, sweetly resting,
In the cleft once made for me.
Jesus, blessèd Rock of Ages,
I will hide myself in Thee.

In the rifted Rock I’ll hide me
Till the storms of life are past;
All secure in this blest refuge,
Heeding not the fiercest blast.

Now I’m resting, sweetly resting,
In the cleft once made for me.
Jesus, blessèd Rock of Ages,
I will hide myself in Thee.

No comments: