Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Different Kind Of Life

For the next two weeks, the children and I will be working with our County Fair helping with all the things that need to be done. I decided to do it mainly for the boys, who have been feeling very cooped up lately and wanting to do REAL things, which I totally understand and know that they NEED in a way that daughter and I don't.

But, along with this working, we are getting a glimpse of another side of life that we don't experience very often.

It took me years, and I mean that literally, to realize that I NEED to be Home. I can't be going here and there throughout the day and maintain my sanity. I really need to be home in order to focus and, practically speaking, in order to do all that needs doing. We generally have one or two days a week where we are out with lessons, or errands, or playing with friends, or appointments (and I try to schedule things together - like a day that I know I'm already going to be out), but the rest of the time we are home.

So now and for the next two weeks, we will be gone virtually all day, every day. We are, in essence, seeing how most of America lives. Getting up early, having some breakfast even when you aren't hungry - not to mention awake yet - and getting basic chores done quickly before you have to be out the door. Coming in the door very late in the afternoon or well into evening and doing it in reverse - quickly check animals and laundry while throwing something together for dinner, which you are hungry for but almost too tired to eat, getting ready for the morning and then off to bed so you can do it all over again tomorrow.

No more out-of-the-way restaurants. No more fun in the pool. And no more days like this. Or this.

I can deal with it because it has an end. There's a date on the calendar which is the Last Day. Then we go back to our routine. Thankful that we can be quiet and slow and enjoy. But I grieve for those for whom constant running is normal.

I know, too, that I need to keep the LORD and scripture foremost in my mind so as not to get frazzled and to gracefully deal with anything and everything that happens. So, in addition to reading my Bible last thing at night and first thing in the morning, I've been having oldest son read out loud to us as we drive to the Fairgrounds. This morning I had him read Psalm 139. Oh, how it fed my soul! Please read it for yourself (HERE it is), but here is a highlight that just really spoke to my heart this morning:

O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. Psalm 139:1-10

I hope that wherever you are at, that you are seeking the LORD while he may be found and that your mind is stayed, fixed, on the only one who gives perfect peace.

No comments: