Monday, May 14, 2007

Catch-Up and Smile

Home again, home again, home we are. How wonderful it always is to come home. We were out of town, actually we went home - where we are both from and where both sides of our families live, for the funeral of my husband's cousin who was tragically and accidentally killed a few days before his 52nd birthday.

We were down for two nights and were able to catch up with family that we don't get to see very often, see both Moms/Grandmas for Mother's Day, as well as spend some time swimming at the hotel ( a small secluded pool that is always empty ) and seeing a few of our favorite shows on television since we don't have television at home and only watch videos or dvd's related to school or things we borrow from the library. So sometimes we look forward to going out of town and catching up with Alton Brown, the Meerkat's, and Deadliest Catch.

I got a bit of crocheting done - ran out of yarn and had to stop! And some hand sewing too. My mother buys all kinds of crochet books and I love looking through them for patterns and ideas -- I was soooo tempted to borrow a few of them this time but I have so much on my plate now that I just couldn't. I told her that I would leave them and that way I would know where they are when I have the time to do something new. One of them is still in my head -- a totally adorable little granny square that is a bunny face with ears. I can absolutely see that for my new soon-to-be-born granddaughter, but it will have to wait. Maybe it will be a Christmas present that I can start in June when my life and time will hopefully be more my own again. :-)

I did get some great cookbooks from my Mom, though. One is a Ladies Home Journal Cookbook from 1960 with a lot of great basic recipes I can't wait to try. I've got post-it notes in several places already. Maybe I'll try and make the doughnut balls in the morning if I feel really ambitious!! The other cookbook is actually the first one I grabbed. With a name like The Prudence Penny Regional Cook Book who could resist? This one is from 1939 and not only has a recipe for Berry Fluff that both son and I found (LOL!!) but it also has one for Opossum, too!! You never know when that may come in handy!

Our garden is growing by leaps and bounds - so exciting. Our corn is already 3 feet high, our squash plants are getting bigger by the minute and the beans are doing their best to keep up! The cabbage is coming along nicely, and we've been harvesting the radishes for a week now! My Basil and Lemon Basil are doing great - now I can't wait to plant the Sage, Parsley and Cilantro that I bought, too!

This week we'll be working on our projects for the County Fair and I'll be finishing up some other odds and ends. The ASF Walk is fast approaching on Saturday, May 19th. We've never attended and this year one is being held only an hour away. I'm really going to try and go. I think Angel would enjoy it immensely!

No comments: