Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Blessed Assurance

Frances Jane Crosby, known to the world as Fanny, was a most prolific hymn writer and a lovely example of how the LORD uses those who are weak and feeble, seemingly with nothing to offer, and proves how marvelous is His strength.

Fanny was born in 1920. At about six weeks of age, she caught a cold which then became an inflammation of the eyes. The Doctor who came in place of the family Doctor recommended hot poultices as treatment for the inflammation. This treatment left her blind in both eyes. At the age of one, her father died and she was raised by her mother and grandmother who firmly grounded her with a strong faith in God and encouraged her to memorize long passages from the Bible.

She began writing prose at a very young age; when she was nine years old she wrote:

"Oh, what a happy soul I am, although I cannot see; I am resolved that in this world contented I will be. How many blessings I enjoy that other people don't, to weep and sigh because I'm blind, I cannot and I won't."

I will be adding many more of her hymns, and each time I do I will add a little more about her interesting life also.

Blessed Assurance

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine! Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine! Heir of salvation, purchase of God, Born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

This is my story, this my song, Praising my Savior all the day long; This is my story, this my song, Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight, Visions of rapture now burst on my sight: Angels descending bring from above Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

This is my story, this my song, Praising my Savior all the day long; This is my story, this my song, Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, all is at rest, I in my Savior am happy and blessed: Watching and waiting, looking above, Filled with his goodness, lost in his love.

This is my story, this my song, Praising my Savior all the day long; This is my story, this my song, Praising my Savior all the day long.

No comments: