Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Last Remnants of Childhood

My little one is turning 9 this year.

School1 As she gets older, the trappings of childhood are falling away. I so want to preserve every moment and cherish it. Like how she lays on the floor and does her schoolwork with the dogs settled around her. Or her sweet voice reading out loud to me, sounding out the new words, making sense of the different phonograms, and finding success! Pictures of she and her chicken all over the backyard, laying in the sun, the chicken in the sling, and her total confidence and gentleness in handling this very spoiled bird. Her tenderness as she cuddles up with me, making sure we are both covered with the blanket. How she uses every basket and box and container as a place to hold or put her many beanie babies to bed. The way she still seeks my lap and the warmth of my arms around her first thing in the morning. Her laughter. Her sense of fun and humor. Her wonderful creativity and even her dramas. How she says "Brefkast" and I don't want to correct her because it is so cute and the only thing she mis-pronounces anymore. She will say breakfast the right way for the rest of her life. These are the things I hold on to.

How will she change as the years keep going by? I pray that she would grow not only in grace and stature, but would seek after gentleness and the beauty of a quiet spirit that can weather whatever life may have in store. I pray that she would seek after quiet places, those things of value, lasting value, eternal value, and not be enticed or diverted by the way of the multitude. I pray that I can be the example she needs me to be.

School I don't know what the future holds for her, or for any of us. I don't even know what will happen tomorrow. All I am responsible for is today, this hour, this moment. Please LORD, may I always be aware of my thoughts and the tone of my voice. May I always have a ready smile on my face for these precious treasures you've given us. May I remember how fleeting time is. And may I continually seek after you.

Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight. Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness. Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way. Stablish thy word into thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear. Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good. Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness. Psalm 119:33-40

No comments: